Monday, November 26, 2007

Science does it again

After I read about this surfer's new "theory of everything" on Joe Mande's blog, I wanted to do some research. Here's an excerpt from an article in The Economist :
That a theory of everything might emerge from geometry would be neat, but it is a long shot. Nevertheless, that is what Garrett Lisi is proposing. The geometry he has been studying is that of a structure known to mathematicians as E8, which was first recognised in 1887 by Sophus Lie, a Norwegian mathematician. E8 is a monster. It has 248 dimensions and its structure took 120 years to solve. It was finally tamed earlier this year, when a group of mathematicians managed to construct a map that describes it completely.

Reading this article led me to four conclusions:

1) If you’re a mathematician, don’t be named “Lie.”

2) There is apparently a law that groundbreaking theories in physics have to be delivered to us by cartoon characters. Like, uncles who know how to pull a quarter from your ear, madcap-style.
The precursor to the surfer was this guy:

And then this guy:

Give me a break.

3) The scientific community sure is doing its part to corroborate the image I already carry around in my head of science as a huge funny cartoon.

4)Who will make the next bid to reconcile general relativity and quantum mechanics? Here's my prediction:

No comments: