Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Summer Mix: Part Deux


The reason I haven't posted in a while is because of this terrible school called grad school. But since I have now turned in my last paper (remember that feeling? yeahhhhhhhhhhh you do), summer is officially here, so I'm posting my response/companion to Nick's mix. Here is what will be circulating on the giant boombox I have duct taped onto my segue, as I cruise the summer streets of Cambridge:
1) "The Inspiration," Young Jeezy
This song now opens every mix tape I make. It makes me feel inspired, then ashamed at how easily my emotions are manipulated by chords, then fiscally poor, and then inspired again. What I look for in an opening jam.
2) "Walk Like and Egyptian," The Bangles:
This tune got me through some times last semester. Title says it all.
3) "Hustler Muzik," Lil' Wayne:
Makes you want to break out the silk sheets and fuck a piece of silk. And open a successful silk franchise.
4) "Will You Be There," Michael Jackson
You know when you make friends with a whale who seems cool, but you're not sure if he'll always be there for you? This song really speaks to that.
5) "Ghetto Superstar," Pras and Mya
What do you get when you cross Clinton-era non-politics, highbrow 8th grade date movies, and synethizer baby noises? Answer: a song that already felt nostalgic the day it was released.
6) "Are You That Somebody," Aaliyah
See above. And RIP, girl.
7) "Got to be Real," Mary J. Blige and Will Smith
You know when you make friends with a shark who seems cool but you're not sure if he knows how to keep it real? This song really speaks to that.
8) "Dirty Mind," Prince
Song bridges are usually letdowns, because they seem like the musical equivalent of me going "shit, this paper is three pages too short. I'll just change the font to Courier New." This is one of the few tunes I can think of where the bridge (+key change) completely ties a ribbon around it, and the present is that babe from Nick's post.
9) "I Love My Life," Cam'ron
I love your life too, Cam.
10) "Put on Your T-Storm Hats," Liz
This song only exists in my head. But I highly recommend it. Especially if your brain totally loses its shit when it sees the T-Storm icon on weather.com.

2 comments:

Nick said...

Why don't you just punch me in the face and pee on me, Liz. I GOT OOWWNNED.

Anonymous said...

Lil' Wayne + Cam'Ron. Don't get me started. They should run for prez.