Monday, September 22, 2008

American Homelessness

Have you ever talked with a homeless person? You know, those people on the street, covered in soil and soot, "spare some change? spare some change?" A dime, you give. 2 pennies. Some lint and an old bottlecap. Or, you take care not to notice, averting your eyes. Invisible. "Invisible," you say. Aloud, probably.

America is "home" to over 1,000 homeless people. The best ones are the kind with beautiful, wise spirits/souls.

Long story short, here's what I just heard a lady one saying:

"I remember the second I was born in the hospital. They were saying "is you even alive?"' And I was trying to say, like, "Yes! Yes! I'm alive!"

Alive she was -- fully -- with her beady little eyes, like two tiny plastic beads; the kind of eyes that would lie to you about being pregnant to get money.

No comments: