Monday, September 24, 2007

The tears of a clown

I really relate to the the song "Tears of a Clown."* The lyrics, mostly. I don't know why. I think it probably has to do with how I used to do AmeriCorp as a therapist at a local clown college. Who knows though? Brains are crazy, aren't they?


* Rick Rubin: make Weird Al record this right before he's about to die. Because you, Rick Rubin, will live forever. I'm pretty sure.

Anyway, I was recently thinking about how much more I used to think about jokes and how much more I used to laugh -- like as a teen -- and it really got me down. Did life get less funny (9/11)? Or, as I suspected then, are old people just bad at crackin fat J's? Maybe understanding is antithetical to humor? I'm referring to the deep understanding that comes with young adulthood. For instance, this girl in my 6th grade class died of throat cancer and her best friends couldn't stop laughing for 6 months.
:::RECONTEXTUALIZATION ALERT:::

I've never enjoyed that less.

When I thought "how do I get information on humor?" one thing came to mind: Wikipedia Robin Williams. Here's what I found out:
1. Contrary to popular belief, he was not brutally molested as a child

really?

2. "Williams visited [Christopher] Reeve after the horseback riding accident that paralyzed him from the neck down and cheered him up by arriving as an eccentric Russian doctor (similar to his role in Nine Months). Williams claimed that he was there to perform a colonoscopy. Reeve stated that he laughed for the first time since the accident and knew that life was going to be okay.[8]"

crickets.com

So that really got the laughter ball rolling.

Next I wikipedia'd Paul Reiser and Joy Behar. I read things there too terrible to print. I can't.

The erection that reading about Joy Behar's early life always brings got me thinking about sex, understanding, and growing up -- in a Brewster McCloud, reverse-"When you get pussy off your mind, you can go ahead and learn something" - Merle Haggard way -- So I wikipedia'd the straight foxiest comedienne of all time, Teri Garr

"What's wrong? You know you can talk to me anytime, girl"


"Yeah, let it out, lady. Now, what are we gonna do to make you feel better? (fingering)"


The article proved, at first, fruitless. Then I remembered what fruit was:

- "Garr is a graduate of an all-girls Roman Catholic high school named Magnificat in Rocky River, Ohio, near her hometown of Lakewood."

MAGNIFICAT!!!


i'M In LovE
and
- "Early in her career she was sometimes credited as Terri Garr, Terry Garr, Teri Hope, or Terry Carr" Also: Schmerry Scmarr, Fairy Bars, Teri SARS, and TV's Jamie Farr. i'M iN LoOooOoVe.

As most of my journeys do, this one ended at DaneCook.com. There I listened to Dane's hot new acoustic rock tracks "Forward" and "I'll Never Be You." Immediatley following my listening of the tracks I: killed myself, murdered myself, barfed on myself, cried on my barf, assisted my barf and tears in killing themselves, died a thousand deaths, farted blood, masturbated, screamed into a universe inhabited by no man with ears to hear, killed myself, had a miscarriage, and died alone. An eagle cawed and there was but dust.

but dust.

but dust.

but dust.


au revois, bitches