Tuesday, March 25, 2008

My Hypertext Journey into the Ninth Circle of Hell

I just got an email advertising a screening of a film called "Polis is This," so I decided to look it up. It turns out it is about the poet Charles Olson. One of the blurbs in the ad, from the Boston Phoenix, called it "The best film on an American poet ever." Another blurb, from somebody named Iain Sinclair, called it this:
"Coherent, topographically astute, witnessed."
After reading that sentence, I wikipedia'd "Iain Sinclair," and learned that he is a British writer and filmmaker whose work is rooted "within the influences of psychogeography."

Interesting!!

So I clicked on "psychogeography," and as you might imagine, I learned a bunch of meaningful facts.

Then I went back to the Iain Sinclair page and clicked on a link to an article about him in the London Times. Here's how the article began:
IT IS A CITY THAT forgets. It is a city of the forgotten. You can still disappear without trace in London. It calls to those whose one desire is to vanish. Here you can, in the old phrase, “go under”. Here you can “break”. The city is built upon lost things.

Unfortunately, my hypertext journey was forced to end there, because it turned out I had barfed all over myself and was drowning in my own barf.


No comments: