Friday, March 9, 2007

Re: LOL so true

This is a response to the post directly below it.

1) I'm telling that joke to kick off Liz's eulogy.

2) I wonder: if we had given them Facebook in 1906, and presented it as a solution to the anonymity and isolation problems created by the telephone, would they have sighed relief or become more anxious?

3) A related anecdote:
When I was in college, I went to a media studies conference and saw a grad student read a paper on how cable news screens were corrupting news(journalism? information?) by showing viewers so much information at one time that it was impossible to properly focus on any one story. She drew a diagram of the Headline News set-up and pointed at what she drew to represent the anchor's head, the over the shoulder image, and the news ticker below the anchor's face, over and over really quickly to show us how our eyes/minds were working when we watched that kind of show. Afterwards, two dude classmates of hers commented "Walter Benjamin said the same thing about newspapers." And their faces were like "we are sooo close to kind of fake laughing out loud right now. That's how stupid your paper is."

I wanted in on the fun, so I quickly started pretending like I could have started fake laughing at any moment. Others in the audience joined us. I thought we were doing this because we had all read newspapers and found it actually works out pretty well, so, like how Benjamin, in retrospect, sounds irrationally scared of newspapers, the presenter sounded irrationally scared of cable news which we all watch and don't really have that hard a time processing.

I just finally looked up that Benjamin essay (Storytelling), read several paragraphs of it online, and re-assessed that situation. Now I'm pretty sure the dudes we were laughing like "No shit, you idiot bitch. Benjamin already wrote about this problem, and in the exact same way. As fellow grad students this is hilarious to us because it means you have failed miserably in your research and have proven us to be the superior minds we always knew we were. Cable news is soooo confusing to us. I wouldn't even look at a newspaper for fear of complete disorientation. This is common knowledge."

4 comments:

Lesley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lesley said...

Hey I finally discovered the millenial crier! But here's my question, belatedly (as everything is): what made you re-assess the situation? Because it sounds like you changed your mind based on Benjamin, but it also sounds like you just decided those two dudes were morons for not finding both the grad student and Benjamin irrational. (I would also make the same claim about Barthes and DeLillo. I've called it a kind of postmodern tourism - the insistence on defamiliarizing an experience because of a theoretical commitment to find the system in which it's grounded distasteful and harmful.) So how did revisiting Benjamin convince you that the students were on Benjamin's side viz. the disorientation of modern information?

Nick said...

Dear Lesley, I love you, and I like your "postmodern tourism." When I read the Benjamin it was too good for me to think the guys were dismissing it. The memory of their laughter rang in my ears, and it was the laughter of the kind of guys who would rather allign themselves with WB to put somebody down than find it in themselves to share a laugh at WB's expense. Not a brilliant or well founded point by yours truly, but here at the MC we look to provide a kind of "safe zone" for poorly founded, unbrilliant points. *wink*

Lesley said...

Dear Nick, I love you too, and am profoundly relieved that non-brilliance has finally found its medium. I've been looking for it in young-adult novels and Teen Vogue magazine for YEARS - all wasted.