Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Blog blog blog

To make up for the recent lack of posting, here are a bunch of links to the New Yorker. (MC's understanding of how to make up for things is what makes us such a good boyfriend):
If you love Jane Austen and Lil Wayne – and if you do, I’ll probably marry you – check out the last issue. Also, on their website, David Denby has an audio discussion of Bergman and Antonioni, in which he laments the demise of 1960s movie-going culture, when people wore turtlenecks. Turtlenecks!
Speaking of visual art experiences so morally and intellectually engaging it makes you want to wear a turtleneck, I can’t stop watching VH1’s The Pickup Artist (thanks to Matthew for the tip). I particularly recommend the end of episode two, which features a young man uttering the phrase, “When I looked into Mystery’s and J-Dog’s and Matador’s eyes…”
Finally, readers, an anecdote: I went into CVS today and bought a box of kleenex, a carton of orange juice, some soup, and two boxes of cold medicine. At the checkout, the guy working there ID’d me and then gave me a slip of paper that said “Prevent teenage over-the-counter drug abuse.” I can't believe that guy saw through my elaborate ruse.

2 comments:

Nick D. said...

I can't believe how good "The Pickup Artist" is. It's so good. Best thing I've seen on television since the third season of "The Wire."

Lizzie said...

DAVID DENBY. it all comes back to him.