Saturday, February 17, 2007

I smell utopia

I’m so glad NBC Thursday nights are back (if you don't count MNIE). I like what it says about our times. It’s like it’s 1998 again, only people are smarter.
This fits into my theory that people are getting smarter. Think about how much better you would be now if you had had access to any knowledge you wanted as a kid, and it came in the form of a neat future medium that didn’t have someone else’s dried boogers on every tenth page (shout out to Capitol Hill Elementary library!!!). My eight-year-old self would have been a non-stop research machine. And people who say that the internet makes kids gullible obviously never went to an elementary school where it’s completely acceptable to use the Encyclopedia Britannica CD-Rom as the single source for every research paper you write. Although you have to admit the EB-CDR has some good facts about the Holocaust and Native American storytelling. When I watch kids today surf the internet, which I do strangely a lot, I can tell those mofos are going to be savvy readers. And they’ll never have to go through a year where they can’t find out what “orgy” means, so they keep alluding to it in conversations.

No comments: