Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Falling Over

I don't know what you guys have been doing with your summer vacations, but I'll tell you what I've been doing:



That made it sound like I was a contestant on Wipeout, which I wasn't. I just like to watch it. So.....woooooh! Summer. Shit has been fucking crazy.

Nancy Franklin recently called this show “a perfect punch line to the human comedy,” which is super true.

On a side note, "supertrue.com" is still for sale as a domain name. I'm thinking of buying it and using it to self-publish all of my monographs. I'm also thinking that's how I will blurb every book that I like, once I get to write blurbs.

I can’t wait to start blurbing.

Now tell me a secret about you...

Anyway, how fun and exciting does this show make life look? It should get an NEA grant for making me fall in love with the human race all over again. Did you know that’s how they award NEA grants nowadays? It is. “Made Liz fall in love with the human race all over again: yes/no.” That’s why they don’t give them to any art that's sad or has a sad ending.

"Call me old-fashioned, but I just think there's enough sadness in real life."
That's a quote by James Joyce.

If I were an alien and I saw this video, I would be like, “Pack your bags, kids, we’re moving to that place. It looks so fun. Blee bloo blorp.”

This one too:



I give it five NEA grants. And an Academy Award.

That reminds me, does anybody else here have OSCAR FEVER???

That was a joke about how my blogs are always too late. Or a joke that I'm completely insane. Whichever makes you LOL harder. Just don't LOL too hard, or you might ROTFL onto your iPods and texting!

That reminds me, does anybody else here have OSCAR FEVER???

Since there's nothing better than trying to dissect humor, let me leave you with this question: why is present-day people falling over almost always funny, but old-timey people falling over (I’m talking to you, Charlie Chaplin and Buster Keaton) is only funny to dads and film professors?

There's some food for thought that will really make you think and maybe even cry.

Blurbs! Sorry I love you so much.

3 comments:

JBR said...

If they had had Reality Television or Candid Cameras/Home Camcorders/Voyeurism in the days of Chaplin and Keaton, I bet we would be ROFLing at it for generations to come. Just seeing some guy ACT like he's a klutz, when in fact he is a highly trained acrobat who can fall over in ways you can hardly even comprehend, isn't the same as watching real, bona fide, point-and-laugh klutzery. Even though in both cases people are actually falling over and probably hurting themselves.

Lizzie said...

I love that the soundtrack is the Safety Dance, when these people are clearly not dancing safely. Is that what irony is, Liz?

PS I'm sad we never watched Reality Bites because the scene where Ben Stiller's mom makes her define irony in her job interview--that has happened to me in every job interview ever!!! Luckily I'm ready now. Thanks RB

Liz said...

Jbr, I agree. I give you five Academy Awards.
p.s. Jesse?

Lizzie: you'll be disappointed to know they stopped asking that questions in interviews after 9/11.
(...because that's when irony died. GET IT???)