Sunday, February 3, 2008

Endorsements

Caroline Kennedy wrote an essay in the New York Times a few days ago endorsing Barack Obama. It was called "A President Like My Father." In it she argues that Barack Obama should be president because he reminds her of her father. I agree. That's how you should make the decision. But I'd like to amend the prescription by saying this includes the option of voting for the candidate who you understand to be least like your father, with the knowledge that with this option you reveal your secret understanding of your father even more clearly than voting for the candidate that directly reminds you of your father. Anyway, she's choosing the straight-ahead route, and, interestingly, that's also how I roll. Which is why this year I am endorsing this Cheers season 4 DVD boxed set.



How about Caroline Kennedy though? I like to think I'm sympathetic.

No comments: